Our Parent-Child Classes are for parents and caregivers with children from birth to three years of age. We meet once a week for two hours during the fall, winter, and spring. This group time provides important socialization for the young child and acclimates them to the school in preparation for the Preschool-Kindergarten experience. It also gives parents an opportunity to meet other parents in the area and to discuss parenting issues.
During our group time, the children engage in free play in an outdoor space designed for our youngest members while parents and caregivers have the option to make a seasonal craft. The teacher then leads the group in circle time with movement, songs, and a puppet story. Afterward, we share an organic, wholesome snack with ingredients from local markets. We then go for a nature walk on our woodland trail, and at the end of the two hours, we sing a goodbye song together.
The Westbrook Pandemic Policy for preventing the spread of COVID-19 follows the recommendations of the Connecticut Office of Early Childhood (OEC), which receives its guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the governor’s office. Basic preventative measures are strictly upheld in our Parent-Child Classes and include the following:
- All staff, parents, and caregivers must use face coverings and keep a distance of 6 feet from others as much as possible.
- Each Parent-Child class will have no more than 12 total attendees.
- Temperatures and health screening of staff, parents, caregivers, and children will be taken prior to entering the Parent-Child play yard.
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting of play equipment.
- All staff shall cover their mouths with their sleeve or a tissue when coughing or sneezing, and encourage children to do the same; and dispose of soiled tissues immediately after use.
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose, or mouth with hands.
- Ensure anyone showing signs of sickness stays home.
- Implement social distancing where possible.
Parents are asked to sign a form acknowledging that they have read and understand our Pandemic Policy as well as sign a waiver.